Deborah Lewis is Wesley’s Campus Minister. She is an ordained elder in the United Methodist Church and has previously worked for several non-profits including Appalachia Service Project. Deborah completed her seminary degree at Emory University’s Candler School of Theology. When she’s not spending time with students, she enjoys life with her husband and stepson, throws pottery on the wheel, and blogs at Snow Day. Email Deborah.
Kathleen Mueller, Wesley’s Office Manager, has many years in video production with a concentration in coordination and facilities management. She also enjoys reading, baking, and hiking with her husband Andy and dog Ophelia. Email Kathleen
OFFICE MANAGER – JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
We are a United Methodist-supported campus ministry serving University of Virginia students, alumni, and staff. We are a community of faith for students during a pivotal time in their lives, providing physical space to gather, share meals, study, and worship. The position of Office Manager is crucial to our vision for ministry at the Wesley Foundation.
Through attention to the unseen but vital parts of ministry (finances, building maintenance and repairs, recordkeeping), the Office Manager enables us to offer “a place to be and become” for students on the journey of faith during college. As a first point of contact for students and others who stop by, email, or call, the Office Manager offers a generous spirit of hospitality and an openness to meeting and engaging with students.
The Office Manager reports to the Director/Campus Minister. This position is responsible for managing the Foundation office and records, supervising building use and maintenance, and assisting the Director/Campus Minister, Board, and student leaders in routine and special projects. The position requires good public relations, discretion in handling correspondence and confidential information, independent judgment, good time management skills, the ability to manage multiple projects, and the ability to work independently with minimal direction from the Director/Campus Minister, while also being a team player.
KEY JOB ELEMENTS
• Receive, deposit, and record gifts and other income; maintain donor records; manage donor correspondence.
• Prepare bill payments and other checks for the Treasurer.
• Schedule and work with monthly external bookkeeper to prepare account reconciliations and quarterly payroll taxes.
• Archive year-end tax-related records and work in cooperation with the bookkeeper and auditor to complete an annual review of the books.
B. Office Management
• Serve as first point of contact for Wesley; provide information and hospitality.
• Assist Director, Board, and student leaders with program needs, supplies, and coordination.
• Coordinate large printing jobs and bulk mailings.
• Manage record archiving and data backups.
• Order and receive all office supplies and equipment. Arrange for care and maintenance of equipment.
C. Building Use and Maintenance
• Manage and coordinate building use requests, including contracts and fees.
• Order, maintain, and stock all paper products, cleaning, and janitorial supplies.
• Arrange for care and maintenance of office equipment, kitchen appliances, boiler inspection, pest control, and other routine building maintenance.
• Coordinate and supervise building maintenance, janitorial, and other routine contractors (furnace, mowing, snow removal).
• In consultation with Property Chair, coordinate repairs.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• High school education or equivalent
• Excellent communication skills, including via telephone & email
• Attitude of hospitality toward the public
• Computer and Internet proficiency, including Microsoft Office programs. Familiarity with Quickbooks and database entry is strongly preferred.
• Financial accounting and record-keeping is strongly preferred
• Ability to manage and coordinate large and/or long-term projects with attention to detail
• Ability to work independently and to problem-solve
• Successful completion of a background check
• The office manger must have use of a personal vehicle for office errands, and will receive mileage reimbursement for those trips.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The position is funded for 16 hours per week, preferably 4 hours/day for 4 days/week.
Specific hours are to be scheduled with and approved by the Director/Campus Minister.
Wesley offers up to 15 hours of paid personal leave per year and we celebrate these 11 paid holidays: New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Easter Monday, Memorial Day, Juneteenth, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, the Friday after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day.
The above information is a general description of the position, not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required.
Wesley at UVA is committed to building a team that strengthens equity and inclusion. We encourage applicants of all races, ethnicities, nationalities, backgrounds, incomes, religions, gender expressions, gender identities, sexual orientations, ages, and abilities.
To apply, submit cover letter, resume, and list of references by 5/6 to Jessie Colwell: firstname.lastname@example.org
*ADJUSTMENTS DUE TO COVID PANDEMIC
For everyone’s safety, we follow the pandemic guidelines of both the University of Virginia and the Virginia Conference of the United Methodist Church. Currently our property is accessible by mobile security pass only. Very few in-person gatherings are taking place inside the building and a strict maximum number is enforced. No outside groups are using space at this time. The Office Manager has private workspace with their own door and may arrange specific work hours with the Director to provide the best work coverage and personal safety. Other accommodations are considered on an on-going basis as needs arise and more is known about the virus and vaccinations.